Member Information in the Age of COVID-19
We know working out is a way of life for you. It is the way we connect, clear our minds, boost our immune system and make time for ourselves. As a hospital-based fitness and wellness center, the safety of our members and staff has always been our first priority. To address the COVID-19 health concerns we have established a task force, consulted with our hospital leadership and with the Medical Advisory Board, as well as with our professional janitorial company. We have devised a comprehensive reopening strategy that includes best practices set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), the state health department, and the US Surgeon General. While we cannot completely eliminate the risk of COVID-19 in the Center—or anywhere in society—we are aggressively managing the risks associated with the virus.
As the days unfold, we will continue to monitor and evolve our policies as necessary to conform to state and federal guidelines. As of now, we are still awaiting direction from our Governor. We have updated our FAQ’s to clarify our proposed plan in light of the current available information. As we prepare for re-entry, we present our Pledge of Protection; a five-pronged multi-faceted approach to provide a safe member and employee experience: (1) screening, (2) disinfecting/sanitizing, (3) controlled capacity, (4) distancing, and (5) hygiene/personal protection.
Pledge of Protection
(1) Regular Screening – For Members and Employees
- Each member and employee will be screened and evaluated by a “health guard” upon entering, including a temperature check. Any individuals who exhibit flu-like symptoms, such as a fever over 100.3°F, shortness of breath, cough, other symptoms typical of COVID-19, and/or have had contact with someone known to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days, will not be permitted to enter the facility and will be encouraged to seek medical attention.
(2) Increased Level of Disinfecting/Sanitizing: A New Standard of Cleanliness
- The Center is currently scheduled to undergo a COVID-19 deep cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing process which will be completed before opening.
- Medical grade, EPA-registered disinfectants—which are documented as highly effective against COVID-19—that sanitize, are complete with fungicides, mildew stat, and virucide, will be used for continuous cleaning in the Center.
- Regular use of Electrostatic Spraying Technology will be practiced. This technology uses the highest classification of disinfectants recommended by the CDC and WHO, to treat known pathogens. The sprayers rapidly clean and disinfect entire areas and are used in large public settings to clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces and public areas. Electrostatic spraying is a new highly effective practice in infection control.
- Staff and housekeeping will spot-clean/disinfect throughout the day.
- The entire Center will be cleaned and disinfected daily.
- We have increased the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) filters to hospital-grade MERV 13, and opened outdoor HVAC dampers to achieve a higher level of air exchange in the Center.
- We have increased hand sanitizing stations and antiviral wipe stations throughout the Center. All locations are clearly highlighted with signage.
- All staff working with members will utilize antiviral wipes/spray disinfectant on the equipment before and after working with members/clients.
- All members will be required to wipe down equipment before and after use.
(3) Controlled Capacity
- We will be actively monitoring usage of the facility as means to control capacity. To help limit any congestion, we are asking members to initially limit their time in the Center to 90 minutes. If the center is not at capacity, then time may be extended. Please check our website for a schedule of historical usage as an indicator for best times to workout.
- We will be monitoring the number of individuals in Group Fitness studios to provide a minimum of 10-feet of distance between each participant and the instructor. Group Fitness classes will require pre-registration through Empower M.E. There will be a virtual programming option for those not comfortable attending in-person or in the event the class is full. There will also be an opportunity to attend a few outdoor Group Fitness classes. (Class programming will be subject to state guidelines.)
(4) Physical Distancing
- The reception desk has been fitted with a plastic shield for physical distancing between employees and members.
- Several steps have been taken throughout the Center to encourage everyone to respect six feet of separation. We have placed markings on the floor and signage in various places to provide reminders as members travel through the Center.
- Clear instructional signage throughout the Center is set to aid in the flow of traffic and reduce congestion.
- We have removed or taken out-of-service some cardio equipment from the Fitness Floor to provide for a more open floor plan and achieve physical distancing.
- We have rearranged some strength equipment to provide for greater distancing.
- There will be markings on the floor in Group Fitness studios to maintain physical distancing, so occupancy will be limited. All Group Fitness classes will require a reservation. We will offer a live-streaming option with your membership. See FAQ’s below.
- Staff will act as “physical distancing ambassadors,” monitoring areas of the Center to ensure a positive member experience.
(5) Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – For Members and Employees
- All employees and members will be required to wear a face mask or face covering at all times except as noted below.
- Upon entering the facility, there will be a sanitizing station in which all members and employees are directed to disinfect their hands.
- Everyone is asked to practice good health hygiene by washing or sanitizing hands regularly, avoid touching the face, and perform proper respiratory etiquette when coughing or sneezing.
- Members will be required to wear a face mask at all times, except when exercising vigorously*.
- *Vigorous exercise is different for everyone. If your heart rate is raised and you are uncomfortable breathing in a mask while exercising because of your elevated heart rate, then we would consider that to be vigorous exercise. Between bouts of vigorous exercise, while cleaning equipment, moving to different equipment, or conversing with other members/staff, masks must be worn.
- If disposable or cloth face masks are preventing you from a beneficial workout, please consider one of the athletic face masks or face shields available on the market. Face shields are available for purchase at the reception desk. We do recommend that everyone wear some type of face-covering.
- In the event, a member has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a face mask or face covering, we consider a face shield to be a reasonable accommodation. This option is safe for the member, as well as our employees and other members in the facility.
- Each employee will be required to wear a face mask or face covering during work hours.
- Group Fitness Instructors who are exercising vigorously will not be required to wear a mask while teaching classes. In this event, instructors will practice safe physical distancing and face away from the group during instruction.
- Employees will be required to wear gloves when cleaning or responding to a member in distress.
- All employees will practice good hand hygiene at regular intervals throughout the day.
- In addition, employees will practice good hand hygiene before and after working with clients.
MEMBER CODE OF CONDUCT/SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We’re all in this together. Help us be a part of the solution by committing to do the following:
- If you are sick, experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, have shown any symptoms of illness in the last 48 hours, or have come in contact with someone who is experiencing symptoms, please do not come into the Center.
- Observe safe physical distancing of at least 6-feet and pay attention to floor decals and signage when in high-traffic areas.
- Practice good hand hygiene by frequently washing your hands or utilizing the Sanitizing Stations situated throughout the Center.
- You must wear your masks at all times while in the Center, except when vigorously exercising or for medical reasons. We do recommend use of a Face Shield for some protection. They are available for purchase at the front desk.
- Cardio equipment has been marked “out-of-use” to allow for physical distancing. Members must only use the cardio equipment that is not marked.
- When using strength equipment on the floor, do not use a machine adjacent to one in use. Please wait until the member is finished before using that equipment to allow for adequate social distancing.
- All guidelines have been put in place to ensure the safety of our members, employees, and community. Failure to comply will result in your dismissal from the Center. Please remember we must ALL do our part together to help decrease the spread of the virus.
- Stay informed with the most up-to-date information by following our social media accounts and visiting our Resource Hub and Frequently Asked Questions
CONTACT TRACING & REPORTING
COVID-19 EXPOSURE PROCEDURE
Members are asked to alert the General Manager, Mariah Scherlacher at email@example.com if they test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of their last Center visit. This is a requirement of the public health initiative.
Once notified, we will then perform contact tracing with appropriate communication to all potentially exposed persons if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please see our FAQ’s page for answers to your questions regarding membership, personal training, and Aquatics in light of the COVID-19 restrictions.
Manage your Member Account
Access your member account anywhere with Empower M.E., our member self-serve portal. This portal gives you the power to update credit card information, manage your check-ins, purchase services, book appointments (Personal Training, Group Fitness, Aquatics), and much more. Click HERE for step-by-step instructions.
Freezing your Account
While the Center has been temporarily closed, your membership has remained frozen at no additional charge. Once we reopen the Center, your account will be reactivated. As we’ve prepared for your return, we have put into place our Pledge of Protection to ensure confidence about resuming your exercise program safely. If you prefer, we will have at-home options for Group Fitness classes and training as long as your membership remains active.
If you have additional questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To assist with the contactless check-in at the Center please make sure to download the Movofit App and have your scan tag number loaded in. You can use the app to create and track workouts, scan at entry into the center, create goals, manage check-ins, and much more. Click HERE for frequently asked questions about the app.
DO YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS REGARDING MEMBERSHIP, PERSONAL TRAINING, PILATES OR AQUATICS IN LIGHT OF THE COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS?
We thank you for your continued commitment. We are so grateful that you are part of our wellness family. Together we will get our community healthy again, providing a safe and supportive place for your mental and physical well-being. We are here to help in overcoming the challenges brought to us by COVID-19 including social isolation, stress, and anxiety. We all need physical activity and community now more than ever.
As we continue to learn more we will update and adapt our policies and procedures, always with the health and safety of our members and employees remaining paramount. Please check back to our Resource Hub on our website for updated information. Meanwhile, continue to take good care of yourself and your families. We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Yours in good health,
Your RWJ Rahway Fitness & Wellness Center at Carteret Team
You can now access your member account anywhere!
Empower M.E., our member self-service portal gives members the power.